Thursday, August 17, 2006

Parents should never get sick.

I think I'm really naive in thinking that nothing will ever happen to my parents. I'm in my early thirties, and I should know that occasionally things will happen, and much to my child like view, they are not immortal. For that matter, my cat is not immortal either. However my brain does not want to comprehend that at all.

My mother and father went hiking at Bear Mountian, New York, and my mother ended up breaking her ankle. They got her to the community hospital that we know quite dearly because I was born there and my father worked there for 35 years. It was pretty bad, so she was in the hospital since Sunday and was not able to get surgery on the ankle until today due to swelling. She'll be there until early next week.

However, I had a very impractical reaction to this whole ordeal. I just kept on thinking, "my mommy is in the hospital!" Apparently, my twin sister had a similar reaction, so I am not alone. Neither of my parents have ever been hospitalized except when us kids were born. I know we are fortunate that they are so healthy, but at the same time it really screwed me up when she entered the hospital because it was such a foreign thought. With my parents being across the country it makes it a little more difficult because I don't want to bother them on the phone and I can't help in any way.

Meanwhile, my twin sister had a biopsy procedure due to a possibly cystitis, and I had absolutely no fear for her. Jenny, I love you, but I just don't understand myself sometimes!

On the knitting front, the flower basket shawl is done and needs to get blocked. I've been knitting quite a bit lately. I started a modular scarf and that is almost done. I'm making it out of Plymouth 24K in a green/brown/cream and of course gold colorway. It is coming out nicely and is very subtle, not as overtly zig zag looking as another yarn would look. A bit of a waste of time to do it with this yarn because it is so subtle, but I actually like it, where as I'm not fond of the whole modular look otherwise. It'll be a sample at Needle in a Haystack. Also making a larger beaded evening bag for the same store, and for pattern writing. I really need to put more pictures up.

Here's one my husband did of fatty:

No comments: