Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Time Off

I had unexpected time off the past couple weeks from one of the stores that I teach at. I had such high expectations for my time off, and, well, I didn't really do as much as I had expected.

Things I did do:
1. Signed up for Friendster but only because my best friend sent me an invite. I think it's really silly, but it's always nice to be more connected.
2. Spent far too much time outside in the heat taking pictures of jewelry, which leads me to:
3. Opened a small etsy store for my residual earrings. I used to sell to a boutique in South Pasadena, and this is stuff that was originally destined to them, but decided to try it solo. Again, we'll see, but it has been fun. And if you're curious click here.

Hmm, and that's about it. I thought I did more.

What I should have done:
1. Written up the pattern for my beaded purse and taken a picture of it for the stores I teach at. Will likely sell the pattern.
2. Finish second sample of the beaded purse.
3. Finish an ill fated repair that has given me fits in more ways then one can count.
4. Block the Flower Basket Shawl.
5. Stock the fridge. With all this time, I haven't even been cooking. Our fridge is a pathetic mix of condiments and leftovers from eatting out. Oh, and thawing young coconut juice.. mmm...

I did do the mundane house stuff, like pay bills, dishes, laundry, etc., but then I have to do that or it's just kind of an issue. My husband does a lot of the house cleaning though, because he gets upset over clutter much faster than I do.

So no knitting to talk about and no new beading. I did roast 2 batches of the same coffee (Guatemalan Dos Marias from Jones Coffee) at 2 different roast levels. Since the FR+ roasts so quickly I usually take the roast just into second crack. I decided to stop one roast about 30seconds to a minute before I thought second crack would hit. I'm not sure if I really like it. The flavor is far less full, a little flat even. My husband said, "you didn't brew this coffee as strong as usual." Today after a little more rest, I liked it better, but I think I like the coffee in general more at FC+ than C+. I will definitely try the experiment again now that I'm more confident in my roasting skills. I didn't get any grassy taste like the last time I tried it, so at least I'm learning. I'm afraid I'm roasting to the same level all the time, so I need to learn to vary it and not get stuck in one place.

Obligatory cat photo. This is of fatty sitting next to the catnip I'm growing for him in the backyard. He actually chased the ratty white cat with an orange tail out of our backyard when it invaded his territory. The white cat was going straight for the catnip, and fatty wasn't going to take that. It's big news in this house because fatty isn't known for moving very much if he sees no need to, which he doesn't see a need to most of the day. In this pictures he is only mildly high.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cat is soooo cute and cuddly looking! I once had planted some catnip in my garden and the next day found it stripped to the stalk! I am so shocked to see him laying so calmly next to it!

Anonymous said...

What a cute fearball he totaly is somwhere elese right now. Maybe our Winston can have a catnip get together at some point. :-))