Wednesday, May 30, 2007

who are we?


I never said who these sweeties are! They are foster bottle kittens from the local humane society. I had signed up to foster I think over a year ago specifically for bottle kittens, since I have the time to take care of them and a little prior experience helping my sister with her many fosters. I also believe that young kittens don't deserve to be euthanized because they are too young or too small, it was not their fault. Responsible pet parents should fix their animals, and for strays there are great catch and release spay/neuter options. Pasadena has a great program and an explanation of how and why it works.

I picked up three kittens on Friday when they called and needed someone immediately. The tortoiseshell little girl came with a brother, and the brown tabby had an unknown mom. The siblings also had 3 more litter mates that are being fostered by someone else. Their mom had gone dry. Unfortunately, the little boy had trouble breathing on Saturday night and ate very little, although he did purr quite a bit until he became very weak. It was very sad, but I knew going into it that they don't all make it.

None of the kittens have names, because I was trying my hardest not to become attached, just in case. However, if you have suggestions, I think they are strong enough now that they should make it. The brown tabby is very active and curious, he's also a little older. The tortoiseshell is calmer but has quite a set of lungs when she's hungry. She's learning to hold her own against her older active friend too. The little one is probably around 3-4 weeks old, and the tabby is somewhere around 4-5 weeks old. I'm trying to think of some well known or make believe couple to name them after, but the lack of sleep is starting to prevent me from rational thought. So suggestions are welcome! And no, I will not be keeping either of them. King Winston deserves to reign this household alone, as he likes it.

7 comments:

mary said...

They're so adorable!

Madge said...

I want to adopt them. Right now, this very second. They're sooo cute, with their fat kitten bellies and sweet faces.

No names are popping into my head, but let me think on it, okay?

*scritches to all, Winston included*

jillian said...

Once again with a chorus of Oh So Cute! What a wonderful gift for you to foster. The first "couple" name that comes to mind is Fred and Ginger - I think because the tortie is part ginger colored :)

mehitabel said...

Too, too cute--reminds me of when we had kittens, many years ago! Now that I'm down to "only" 3 cats, I'm not going to volunteer, but I sure hope they find a good home soon!

K8 said...

They're so adorable! Sadly, all the couple names that come to mind are cartoons or claymation :)

Anonymous said...

I just found your site and these guys are too cute! I think you should name them Franklin and Eleanor for the Roosevelts, because then they could be called Frankie and Ellie.

Debi said...

Darling kits and so wonderful of you to do this for them.

You know purring doesn't always mean "happy and fine". Often cats/kittens purr to comfort themselves when they are stressed out or ill.