Sunday, June 18, 2006

I am a hamster

me



My last post I mentioned I might have hoarding tendencies, well it isn't might anymore, I am officially a hoarding hamster. Specifically dry processed African coffees. I just purchased 10lbs of dry processed African, half Sidamo, half Harrar. Yum!

I won't be afraid to roast my African coffees now that I have enough. My husband used to tease me because when I would eat sushi, I would eat in order from my least favorite to my favorite if I ordered a set sushi dinner. By the time I got to the last piece that I was salivating over, I would not enjoy it as much because I was already full. I think I'm doing the same with coffee, roasting and drinking the coffees I like, but don't love first, and even though I have more of my favorites, I'm afraid to roast them. I just don't want to run out. However, with this new order, I'll be able to roast with no fear.. hopefully!

In the mean time, roasting is on hold. My fresh roast fan decided to die mid-roast of a Colombian coffee, thank goodness it wasn't the Aged Sumatra that was due to go next. The roast was ruined even though I tried to pan roast the rest, the bottom beans were already burned, and I was too panicked while doing the pan roast that it was just awful.

However it was a blessing in disguise. I went to the coffeegeek forums and looked up some local roasting companies to buy roasted beans from while I wait for the fresh roast to get fixed (under warranty). I went to Jones Coffee in Pasadena and was pleasantly surprised and really excited at their shop. The owner was so sweet to me, even though I was nervous and shaky. It was just such a cool space and you could see the roaster and green beans behind the counter, and it made me so excited that I didn't know what to say. I picked up some Sumatra and am drinking it right now. Very tasty, and they sell green beans too! A local source of green beans is always welcome and I read their story on-line and they really are an asset to the coffee community.

I also read on-line that there are a lot of great coffee place in our area. We hit Coffee Klatch in San Dimas on our way to meet friends in Rancho Cucamonga. Yummy espresso and also a great space. My husband liked the space so much he wants to just go there to hang out.

On the knitting front, I have no right to start a new project, but I started the Flower Basket Shawl. My coworker is already well into the second repeat, and it looks great. I'm playing with the double decrease, whether to do a centered double decrease or the right slanting as specified in the pattern. I think I'm going to do what is in the pattern, because it might turn into a class. If it does, I really should stick to the pattern. I'm doing it in color 514 which is a combination of mostly greens and a little yellow. Not sure if I'll wear it, but it's a fun knit and will look great displayed at the shop. I also have to get my beaded purse written up for the store. So many things to do, and all I want to do is surf the web about coffee!

1 comment:

Gerbil Knitting said...

I love the picture of your hammie.