Saturday, September 09, 2006

Happy Birthday Winston


My cat officially turned 11 today. I've had him since he was 3 days old and he has lived with every person in my family for at least a week, so he really is a part of my family. I adopted him from a woman that worked at the Filene's near the coffee shop I worked at. She was moving to NY and could only take one of her two cats (male and female). She had already found a home for the female, but since the kittens were born (surprise!) they no longer could go to that home. So I had the luck of adopting the mom and two kittens.

This is a composite picture of the two kittens when they were probably around 2 months old:


I made a verbal commitment to adopt the cats before my roommate or landlord were aware. So I named the grey kitten Sabia, and told my roommate to name the orange kitten, hoping it would reduce the shock of cats suddenly invading the apartment. I always knew that I would keep just one cat and would find a home for the 2 I decided not to keep. For a long while, I assumed that I would keep Sabia because I thought she was so pretty. However, when the time came to find them homes, I realized that the mother and daughter were very attached. I found a great home for both girls, again from someone that worked at Filene's. He would update me on how they were for as long as I worked at the coffee shop, although he did rename Sabia, Dora.

Winston has lived all over Boston, New York and 3 years ago came to join my husband and I in California. He has adapted to living out here really nicely, partly because his dad spoils him. We call him King Winston in the house. We think he likes being the only child.

So last night I gave Winston his first gift. I have a friend in the bay area who gifted him with what was supposed to be a handmade strawberry catnip toy, but it looks more like a radish, so to us, it's a radish. I have rarely seen him play with any other toy since he has received it and decided for his birthday he needed another one. Of course, he went crazy over the toy last night and here he is:






I hope this works!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday to Winston - I sooo love the pics and the video! Thanks for sharing!

Opinionated said...

Thanks for the comment! Those are some of my favorite pictures of him too!
:)

mary said...

Happy belated birthday, Fatty Winston! I loved reading about your coffee and dyeing experiments, and of course about your knitting. You are a crazy cat coffee yarn lady!

Anonymous said...

Oh it's nice to connect a picture to the cat. Winston is a very pretty cat--birthday greetings to him. I want to buy some earrings from you---they are all so pretty.