Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Kool-aid dyeing experiments

On Sunday afternoon I did a little bit of mixing and blending, inspired by this tutorial on blending, I started dyeing the 24 yard long loop I made the other day. I only did 3 sections, and here is what they look like so far:

The photo is a little blurry, but on my monitor it is pretty accurate for the colors. I did a lot of blending and of course wrote very little notes, but I'm pleased so far. Each color represents a 2 yard length of the loop. I'll probably try to dye up 2-3 sections at a time, when I have time. Next color I'm going to try to get is a nice bright lime green next to the turqoise on the left. I think it'll be mostly blues with some greens and maybe yellow. I'm still deciding, and with 12 sections I have a lot of options.

I did get an ok picture of the Flower Basket Shawl. I used about 1 2/3 balls of Koigu on a size 8 needle and added 2 or 3 extra repeats from the original Interweave pattern. The Interweave version definitely has better charts then the newly revised Fiber Trends pattern. But it's nice that the Fiber Trends pattern has many weights of yarns and different sizes. I'm glad I made the shawl, not sure if I'll wear it. For now it'll reside at one of the stores I teach at as a sample.

Of course as I was blocking the shawl, fatty had to supervise and later was found sitting in the middle of the shawl. Shoo-ing him off did not help, neither did my husband laughing.

No comments: