Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The search for glue.

I teach a felted bag class for my advanced beginning knitting class. In around 150 yards worth of knitting my students learn how to increase (M1), use paired decreases (k2tog & ssk), pick up stitches, work in the round and read an imperfect pattern. They do all this in the first class and have to repeat much of what they learn for homework in the body of the purse for the second class. Even though to an intermediate knitter these are all pretty standard techniques, for a knitter that has only made scarves it is not an easy project. However it is definitely attainable and once they finish it helps to build confidence to try other types of more advanced knitting. When they finish and felt the project, I make a deal with the students, that if they buy the materials, I'll make a specific swarovski beaded button for them. Sometimes finding the perfect closure for a purse can be difficult, so I help give them an option.

Well I was just finishing one of these buttons and I couldn't find my jeweler's glue that I use to attach the button bail to the bead I use to stabilize the button. I searched all the places I normally put my jewelry making stuff. Then I remembered my husband.

A couple years ago the fabric on the door of my car partially fell down. My sweet husband fixes my car and went through 2 pricey spray-on adhesives that were apparently made for automotive problems like mine. Neither worked for more than a couple days. He was ready to retry one of the adhesives when I told him that I was not convinced that a spray on adhesive could possible be strong enough. I handed him my jeweler's glue and asked that he humor me and try it. Worked great. Since then when he's needed a stronger glue for miscellaneous car and household projects I find the glue here:


Right on his workbench, where it obviously belongs! I think I'll need to get him his own tube so I can keep mine ;)

Now that the button was done I could cook a simple dinner for the glue thief. I don't cook a lot of Korean food, but this is a dish we call daddy's one pot chicken dish. It's one of the few dishes my dad cooks, although my mom makes it most of the time. It's comfort food and something I know my husband will enjoy. It's an easy dish of chicken fryer parts, onions, garlic, soy sauce, black pepper and potatoes. Here it is before the potatoes:


Not pretty, but very tasty over short grain sticky white rice. Normally I dislike onions, but the onions make all the liquid in the pot that the chicken braises in and flavors the potatoes. Somehow it just works and I hardly even know that I'm eating onions. If you want the recipe, just let me know!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to post some pictures from today's knitting group. Madge organized a group buy to Blue Moon Fiber Arts for some Socks that Rock yarn and she distributed the yarn. Many happy people and great pictures!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Can I get the recipe? It looks wonderful. I love onions, and they are so good for you.